Sakkam Tower

 Address:Geographical location : No.212, Sec. 2, Minsheng Rd., West Central Dist., Tainan City Longitude : 120.202478426198, Latitude : 22.9975160953868
 Subject:AssetClassification : Historic Monument, AssetsLevel : National Historic Monument, Asset Type : Government Office

【Audio】


【Introduction】

Sakkam Tower was originally named Fort Provintia and was built by Dutch in 1655 (the 9th year of Yongli reign of the Ming Dynasty) as a commercial and administrative center. Later in the same year, Koxinga landed at Luermen and occupied Fort Provintia. He renamed it Chengtian Prefecture and used the tower as a temporary residence. After Koxinga’s death, the tower became an arms and ammunitions depot. In 1750 (the 15th Year of the Qianglong Reign, Qing Dynasty), the tower was renovated and the Taiwan Country Office was moved into its right side. The Sakkam Tower is also renowned as a perfect site for viewing dazzling sunsets. In the early years of Tongzhi Reign, the Hall of the Great Being was built on top of the tower yet unfortunately was demolished during the Sino-French War. The first appointed Governor of Taiwan, Liu Mingchuan, ordered the removal of all traces of Dutch architecture to claim his ownership of the island. In1886 (the 12th Year of Guangxu Reign), Peng-hu Academy was constructed on its North Side to promote education and literature. Other additional structures such as the Wenchang Pavilion, the Shrine of the Five Scholars, and the Temple of Sea God were also built on this terrain. During the renovation of the Sakkam Tower in the Japanese colonial period, the Hall of the Great Being, the Shrine of the Five Scholars and most of the Peng-hu Academy was demolished. Only some partial arches of the Academy, the Temple of the Sea God and the Wenchang Pavilion remained. In 1960, the nine stone tortoise pedestals depicting the suppression of Lin Shuan-wen (the leader of the largest armed insurrection in Taiwan under Manchurian rule) were moved from the Great South Gate to the side of the tower for more prominent display. The tower’s current exterior is a result of large-scale renovations in 1965. Some of the beams and pillars were replaced with reinforced concrete.

 

【Other same area pano】

Sitsao Fort

Taiwan Prefect...

Duiyue Gate

Ruins of Fort ...


【Comments】